It’s Global Accessibility Awareness Day and we’re delighted to see your responses to our Take One Challenge!
Keep up the good work 👏
Thursday, 20th May 2021 is Global Accessibility Awareness Day – GAAD.
The purpose of GAAD is to get everyone talking, thinking and learning about digital access and inclusion.
Difference is supporting GAAD by asking you to participate in our Take One Challenge.
Take just one action between now and 20th May to improve accessibility, either as an individual or an organisation – no matter how small.
Looking for some ideas on how to make accessibility improvements?
Here are a few. You might also want to check the Global Accessibility Awareness Day Website for some great resources and events.
Develop your team
- There is lots of great accessibility guidance and training out there – why not ask each of your colleagues to update their knowledge on one aspect of accessibility and share with the rest of the team?
- Take a look at the great resources on the Enhance The UK and AbilityNet websites
- Ask your disabled colleagues and customers about any difficulties they have using your website, forms or online documents
Develop your corporate style
- Make sure your house style is inclusive and accessible
- Talk to your marketing team about accessible design and make sure your guidance on fonts, colours and logos includes accessibility, e.g. Does it stipulate a minimum font size? Does it state that all images should have an image description?
Update your documents
- Take a document from your website and update it to improve accessibility
- Use an in-built accessibility checker, like the Microsoft Accessibility Checker
Make your website more inclusive
- You don’t necessarily need a whole new website – you will be able to make small improvements which add up to a much more inclusive design
- Remove clutter – simple, clear and clean is better for everyone
- Check all your images have an Alt Text description
- Add captions, or a transcript, to any videos on your website
Still not sure what to do or need further advice – talk to us and we can point you in the right direction.
When you have taken your action, drop us an email or send us a video to tell us about it: email@example.com