Thank you to those who took part in our ‘Our City, Our Say’ discussions. The impetus for these discussions was Newcastle Councils ‘Newcastle 2030’ plans for transforming the city. We wanted to find out what would make our cities easier to access.
We want to make sure that disabled voices are heard in any decisions that affect us. We spoke to people with varying access and support needs. We asked what people like and/or need to do in the city, and what stops them doing it.
Here are the key topics that came up:
- Parking and Blue Badges, Public Transport, and Metro Stations
- Digital and Technology
- Local Businesses Incentives and Employment
- Policy, Attitudinal Change, and Intersections of Discrimination
- Support, Assistance and Safety
- Built Environment: Lifts, Level Access, Opportunities for Alterations
- Communication: Disabled People in Decision Making, and Accessible Information Formats